Webinar Replay: Transgender Care and Transitioning
On March 15 2016, HMA Information Services hosted the webinar, “Transgender Care and Transitioning: Implications of New Health Insurance Coverage Guidelines and Research Findings on the Experiences of Transgender Individuals in the Health Care System.”
New proposed federal regulations require health plans to cover all medically necessary care for transgender individuals, including transition-related services. But it’s more than just covering care. It’s also about ensuring access to appropriate services, training staff to understand the needs of transgender populations, and recognizing the social and financial implications of delaying transition-related care.
During this webinar, Marci Eads and John O’Connor of HMA Community Strategies and HMA’s Heidi Robbins Brown and Karen Brodsky outlined what health plans need to know about the needs of transgender individuals and about how to not only comply with the new guidelines, but also to ensure transgender individuals receive the care they need. Listen to the replay and:
- Understand the implications of new draft federal guidelines requiring health plans to cover transition-related services and healthcare for transgender individuals.
- Hear data from HMA Community Strategies’ national survey of transgender individuals about unmet health care needs and the social, psychological and financial implications of not having access to transition-related care.
- Explore the importance of training health plan representatives to understand the needs of transgender individuals and recommend appropriate healthcare services.
- Identify barriers to access that prevent transgender individuals from receiving transition-related care and other services in a timely manner.
- Learn about resources available for ongoing reference, learning and development of culturally competent healthcare staff.
The slide deck for this webinar can be retrieved by clicking the “DOWNLOAD” button below.