Briefs & Reports

MIChild

According to MAXIMUS, the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) contractor for MIChild enrollment, there were 44,508 children enrolled in the MIChild program as of May 1, 2015. The May enrollment total reflects an increase of 647 from the 43,861 children enrolled as of April 1, 2015. Of the total number of children enrolled, 892 enrollees are dually eligible for Children’s Special Health Care Services (CSHCS) and MIChild.

As the enrollment reports for May (pdf) (xls) show, enrollment is dispersed between 13 plans. The plans with the highest enrollment are Priority Health (with 16.2 percent of the total enrollees), Molina Healthcare of Michigan (with 15.1 percent), HealthPlus of Michigan (with 14.1 percent), and McLaren Health Plan (with 13.9 percent). Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan (BCBSM) had 6.9 percent of the enrollees as of May 1, 2015. The BCBSM market share has gradually dropped from about 75 percent in late 2013 when the insurer advised that it wished to terminate its MIChild contract. Children residing in counties where there are at least two health plans available are given the choice to enroll with one of those plans. Children in counties where BCBSM has been the only available health plan will remain enrolled with that plan until other plans expand their service areas to these counties. There are now only seven counties where BCBSM is the only available plan.

MIChild-enrolled children receive their dental care through contracted dental plans. Of the two available plans, 87 percent of the children were enrolled with Delta Dental Plan as of May 1, 2015. Delta Dental has a statewide service area. The remaining 13 percent of children were enrolled with Golden Dental Plan in a service area that includes eight counties. BCBSM was a statewide dental health plan as well through September 2013 when BCBSM terminated in full its participation in the MIChild dental program. 

For more information, contact Esther Reagan, Senior Consultant, at (517) 482-9236.