HMA Community Strategies®: Building Healthier Communities, One Partner at a Time.
Who we are
To address the social needs that affect public healthcare, HMA formed HMA Community Strategies® (HMACS) in 2014. The HMACS team works directly with communities to identify needs and organize around them. We also work with community-based organizations, policymakers, and healthcare payers and entities to identify and implement solutions.
The HMACS team is made up of healthcare innovators with unmatched real-world experience, including former:
- Executives of community-based organizations
- Foundation program directors and civic leaders
- University professors, researchers and statisticians
- Administrators who have run healthcare centers and integrated systems of care
- Policy advisors to governors and other elected officials
- Senior officials from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
- LGBTQIA+ and HIV community leaders
- Staff Ph.D. program evaluators
And the HMACS team is backed by all the resources of HMA. Learn more about the HMA team.
What we do
HMACS helps communities tackle problems that impact health outside the walls of hospital, provider and payer offices, such as inadequate housing and food access, health equity and disparities, violence, discrimination, unemployment and underemployment. Because good health is more than just good healthcare — it’s a process that begins at the roots of our communities with basics like healthy food, clean air, safe housing and equitable treatment.
We provide consulting and research specific to these social determinants of health. Our areas of expertise include:
- LGBTQIA+, HIV
- Suicide prevention
- Community-focused behavioral health
- Child welfare
- School health, school nursing
- Probation, incarceration, juvenile justice
- Substance use disorders, harm reduction
- Homelessness, food insecurity
- Healthy housing, healthy neighborhoods
- Education, employment
- Aging, respite care
- Victims of crime, domestic violence
- Sexually exploited youth
- Immigrant health
- Reproductive health
HMACS brings a wide range of skills and tools to your project to help make it a success.
- Research and evaluation
- Data analytics
- Community health assessments
- Organizational assessment and development
- Strategic planning and capacity building
- Strategies and interventions to address social determinants of health
- Community health system development and redesign
- Leadership development
- Toolkit & training development
- Grant writing and program finance
- Policy analysis
- Stakeholder engagement
Who we help
Our depth and breadth of experience has helped an incredibly diverse range of clients:
- Community-based health and human service organizations
- Schools and universities
- Departments of health, mental health and public health
- Healthcare providers
- Jails and correctional facilities
- Federal, state and local government agencies
How we’ve helped
No matter what your community health project is, or what stage it’s in, HMACS can help. Here are just a few examples of recent projects:
- Engaged 46 counties across Colorado in a process and outcome evaluation of their jail-based behavioral health services.
- Empowered cross-sector community-based organizations in West Hollywood, California to engage in collective impact evaluation of the city’s Aging in Place Initiative.
- Conducted an evaluation of Colorado Springs Fire Department’s paramedicine program to make recommendations for improving data collection and analysis.
- Worked with four LGBTQIA+ community-based organizations in California to engage in participatory research and rigorous program evaluation to create an evidence base for their effectiveness.
Ready to talk to an expert about your community strategies project?
Schedule a Consultation